It contains: complete protein (about 40%), soluble fiber or vegetable gluten (20–25%), insoluble fiber (15–20%), omega-3 acids (8–10%), vitamins (B1, B2, B6, BC, and E), minor dietary elements (potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and selenium), and phytoestrogens.
Consumption of 100 g of flaxseed porridge covers the daily requirement of potassium for 25%, of magnesium for 168%, of zinc for 48%, of iron for 73%, of selenium for 86%, and of protein for 46%.
- with its high gluten content, flaxseed porridge has enveloping and anti-inflammatory effect. Gluten protects the mucous membrane of stomach and esophagus from irritation and has a smoothing effect in gastritis, colitis and cholecystitis;
- if eaten daily, it helps to normalize functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, to improve the health of the intestinal microflora and to enhance its motor activity.
With high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3), potassium and B vitamins, flaxseed porridge is healthy for all persons who have cardiovascular diseases;
- flaxseed — porridge is an excellent dietary product to be recommended to all persons who care about normalization of their weight. It is healthy for patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus, because its components have a beneficial effect on the pancreas functions;
- flaxseed porridge is a source of natural selenium. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant that prevents formation of free radicals, as well as it inhibits development of cancer and stimulates the immune system.
Due to high content of mucus (vegetarian gluten), flaxseed porridge is healthy in case of bronchopulmonary diseases (pneumonia, bronchitis, and pleuritis);
- regular consumption of flaxseed porridge improves condition of skin and hair (anti-aging effect).
Application in Cooking:
To make one serving of the flaxseed porridge, you should take two tablespoons of the meal, pour in 100 ml of boiling water or 100 ml of boiling milk, and mix thoroughly.
Add hot water or milk to get a desired consistency. Cover and let it stand for 3–5 min.
You can vary the recipe of flaxseed porridge by adding dry fruits or fast cooking oatmeal.
Season to taste with salt and sugar.
Store at the temperature not exceeding 20 °C and the relative humidity not more than 75%. Shelf life: 12 months.